Friday, September 15, 2017

Positivity Journal Page Two

Today I decided to work on my 'positivity journal.'  In a previous post I wrote about starting this journal of positive thoughts and quotes.  I decided to combine my love for words with my love for all things 'art.'  So, my positivity journal was born.
So...I was really liking this page....then...you know when that little voice in your head says 'stop,' but you ignore it and keep going?  Yep...I did that.  And I don't like the results.  But, I decided to put it out there anyway.  This art journaling thing is a work in progress.  We learn from our mistakes...and hopefully use them to help us grow.  The next time I hear that voice, I will heed!  I think.  I hope.  

Anyways...here's the scoop on the page....
Stamps:
     Impression-Obsession Chinese Lanterns (E13185)
     Impression-Obsession Solid Florals ( CL124)
Inks:
     Tim Holtz distress inks in antique linen, dusty concord, and seedless preserves
Lettering:  
     My own - a bit wobbly, but I'm just learning, and, hey, you have to start somewhere.  I decided to just go ahead and use it in my journal, even though I am not anywhere near good at it...yet. 

I removed the pages from a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 Strathmore Mixed Media pad (my journal) so that I could easily do my stamping and drawing/lettering without the binding coil getting in the way.  I will put them back in, as I saved the coil.  I plan to do all the stamping/drawing/lettering, then put them in.  I can then work on the fun part...the coloring and artsy stuff.

I stamped the Chinese lanterns (yes, I know they are orange, but I love purple, and thought they went well with the quote I chose), and watercolored them with the distress inks. I used a fairly dry brush (I like the Silver Black Velvet round brushes...they taper to a point).  They look as though I added white, but I did not.  It's just the way I used the brush, going in very lightly at the first coat, then adding darker layers by adding less water to the ink, and using a fairly dry brush.

When they were dry, I made masks for the lanterns, then brushed antique linen around them with my Clarity stencil brush.  I spattered some water to create those soft white areas.  I did the lettering, then added the swirly stamps.  That's where I got a little carried away!

So, I am adding my page to these challenges:

Impression-Obsession - Harvest hellos - fall or halloween 

Work Art Wednesday - verse

Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media - Collage

Happy Little Stampers Watercolor - Anything goes - optional spritz

The Daily Marker 30 Day Color Challenge 

Thanks for visiting.  Hope you had a good week, and have some fun plans for the weekend!

Blessings,

lynda

3 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous! Love the purple lanterns. Thanks for sharing your gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty art journal page, Lynda. Good for you, sharing when you are not happy with the results. I like the purple Chinese lanterns. I have a hard time with that too, but I think it is good to do. :) Thanks for playing along at HLS WC.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!